What causes basement allergies? Learn more about allergens that thrive in your basement and what you can do to put a stop to them.
Runny nose. Itchy eyes. Sneezing. Scratchy throat. ALLERGIES. No one likes allergies and let alone in your home. There may be allergens that thrive in your basement. The good thing is that there are things you can do to stop this from happening.
There are some signs you may experience if there is mold or other allergens present in your basement. The most common sign that something may be wrong are stuffy nose, scratchy throat, cough, and headache. If you experience any of these symptoms you may have mold or allergens present in your basement.
Any type of water or humidity can lead to mold. Mold can grow on carpets, furniture, drywall, and even on the surface of latex-based paint. Mold can be extremely dangerous to your health. Basement mold can also cause a very off-putting smell and cause damage to furniture and materials.
If your home was built after the 1980s you shouldn’t worry much about asbestos tiles in the basement. For homes built before the 1980s, asbestos tiles may have been used. These could be seen in walls, floors, and ceilings. If you would like to find out if your tiles contain asbestos, you can have them tested. If asbestos fibers are released into the air, they can pose a serious health risk. Asbestos exposure can lead to Mesothelioma, asbestosis, and lung cancer if not treated.
Hearing that you may have mold or asbestos in your basement can seem scary but there are many things you can do to make your finished basement a place where the whole family wants to relax without fear of illness or allergies.
There are a couple of things you can do to improve the basement air quality. Air purifiers can make a huge difference in your air quality. They can circulate the air and remove any contaminants that may be around. It is also important to have proper ventilation. Without ventilation, the air is the basement is trapped and could create a musty smell. If you do not have the possibility if having windows, adding a mechanical ventilation system can do the trick.
Removing the mold from your basement can instantly make it seem like a new space. By removing any existing mold, you eliminate any strange smell and you will find you are no longer suffering from allergies. The first step is to identify where the mold is growing and then have it removed.
The best way to avoid any issues with water damage that will eventually lead to mold is to waterproof your basement. By doing this, you will have piece of mind for the future of your basement and your health. Read why waterproofing your basement is worth it Is Basement Waterproofing Worth It? – Basements Plus (finishedbasementsplus.com)
Basement allergens can occur whether your basement is finished or unfinished. It is vital for your health and home to remove these allergens. Make your basement an enjoyable livable space by working with our experts. Contact us for a free consultation Contact – Basements Plus (finishedbasementsplus.com)